Lunar Lighthouse Puzzle Boxby
This lighthouse themed puzzle box has lost its lamp room. Can you open the puzzle, retrieve the lamp room, and restore it to the top of the lighthouse?
Bonus: Find the “Bonus Moon” hidden inside the lighthouse and place it back in the top window.
- All parts can be printed without supports
- Add brims if your printer has curling or bed adhesion problems.
See video above for a step-by-step assembly
- 6x3mm cylinder magnets (x17) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077K364Z7
- 12mm long M3 socket head bolt (x1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNFTK99
- 14mm long 4mm diameter metal dowel pin (x3) https://www.mcmaster.com/91595A158/
Alternate Configuration - Bolt Version
The bolt configuration uses only 1 metal dowel pin and can be disassembled, but requires more bolts.
- Fewer Magnets - While magnets are recommended for reliable movement, it is possible to use fewer magnets in the toggle mechanism by only adding them to one side. If the slider fits tight enough into the base that it won't fall out, you can also skip the 2 magnets that hold it into place. The magnets that guide the moon disk are very important and should not be skipped.
- Split Shells - By default, the top and bottom shells are each designed to be printed as solid parts with filament swaps to create the lighthouse stripes. You can print these shells as individual layers that are glued together.
- Extra Magnet - Glue a 3x3mm cylinder magnet into the metal dowel pin hole in the base so that the pin is held in place until the puzzle is given a slap. Make sure the magnet is pushed all the way to the bottom of the hole.
- LED lights - Add temporary balloon LED lights to the lamp room for a nice glow. Lights last a couple days and can be turned on/off with a pull tab - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TMY9L3J
Update Print “Moon Disk with Nut.3mf” to add a captive nut with a longer 16mm M3 bolt.
Can I sell copies of this?
Yes! This project was shared under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
This license allows selling copies, but you must provide proper attribution, as detailed in the license itself.
Please note that any other projects linked here (remixes or related projects) may have a different license. Please respect those licenses.
Click here for attribution examples Click here for attribution examples
|Category||Hobbies & Games|